- What do we need to do to grow Scouting?
- What does the community want from Scouting?
- What should Scouting look like in the 2020s and beyond?
- How can we ensure the Scouting program is fun, adventurous, challenging and inclusive?
- How can we be better at meeting the purpose of Scouting?
It’s time for you to have your say on the New Program Concepts, created in the Youth Program Review (YPR). This concept presents a vision for how Scouting might look and feel in the future, and the YPR Coordinating Team want to hear YOUR feedback on it!
The concepts have been developed over the last three years, drawing upon the expertise of the more than 100 volunteers (aged from 13 to over 70!) who have contributed to the project. Many of the elements of the Concepts have also been tested in a variety of forums and formats over the time, including online surveys, visits to Sections around the country, and displays, workshops and surveys at major events with all age sections. This is the first time to see, and provide feedback on, the whole Concept and all of its components together.
None of the Concepts have been approved or finalised yet, so this is your opportunity to get your voice heard in the design phase of the New Program Concepts. Following this national consultation period, the Concepts will be reviewed and improved based on the feedback received, before being tested in real Scout Groups and refined further.
You can have your voice heard by attending one of the workshops being held around Australia. The workshops are the best format to hear the Concepts and be able to interact with others to discuss opinions, and to submit your thoughts. For those who are unable to attend a face-to-face workshop, the materials will be released online in early to mid 2017. After the workshop, you will have also the opportunity to provide further feedback and your in-depth thoughts through an online survey.
The Purpose of the New Program Concepts
- To build awareness and foster an understanding of YPR New Program Concept
- Provide genuine opportunity to make contribution via (workshop questions)
- Helpful questions for next stage
- What we like about the concept so far
- Suggestions for next stage (add/delete/change)
- Enable the participating Scouting community to provide their individual contributions via online survey (i.e. can’t really do the survey unless you have understood the concepts in the workshop!)
- Engage members with the YPR concepts, unpack those concepts, provide feedback and contribute to the development of the key concepts
The Workshops Should
- Engage participants to understand key concepts
- Enable participants to provide feedback on concepts
- Challenge thinking through hearing the responses of other participants and to unpack their own thoughts
- Share ideas to further develop the key concepts
- Provide the YPRCT with new ideas and suggestions to evolve the program concepts
Further feedback (especially personal feedback) will be provided via the online survey.
What Will Happen With The Feedback?
After extensive consultation, revising and reflection from Stage 4.5, Stage 5 will see the New Program Concept evolve from concepts to reality. Pending decisions of relevant National Committees, a detailed ‘Program Manual’ is expected to be delivered in early to mid 2017, with distribution to the Scouting community following soon thereafter. This document will incorporate feedback received during the workshops, and will eventually form a guide for Scouting in the future. It will contain concrete frameworks and procedures that will show how incredible youth led programs are created and implemented effectively using the Scout Method.
Testing our concepts will be a selection of Scout Groups who will experiment and provide feedback on the Program Manual’s content.
Where Can I Attend an Event?
As agreed by the relevant National Committees, the communication and distribution of the workshop and New Program Concept is at the discretion of each Branch.
Most Branches of Scouts Australia are employing a facilitated workshop session model. This will involve Scouting members attending a local venue to receive the New Program Concepts and network with other members to discuss these ideas. In addition, the Youth Program Review acknowledge the geographical advantages and disadvantages when considering the sharing of these ideas and are making arrangements for these Scouting communities.
Branches not listed are in the process of finalising their plans for sharing of the New Program Concepts. Those Branches will be announcing their timelines in due course. Keep an eye on your regular Branch communication channels to be informed of when the workshops are being delivered in your area!
Workshops run for approximately 4 hours, including a break (4.5 hours if running over lunchtime) and are open to all interested people. They are aimed at older Scouts, Venturers, Rovers, adult volunteers and parents, and we would appreciate your assistance in spreading the word to all of these people. Feedback from the youngest members will be sought through other methods.
The consultation is being run nationally and will end in mid-April 2017.
To find out more about New Program Concept Workshops in South Australia, click here.
New South Wales
To find out more about New Program Concept Workshops in New South Wales, click here.
To find out more about New Program Concept Workshops in Queensland, download the information poster.
To find out more about New Program Concept Workshops in Western Australia, click here.
To find out more about New Program Concept Workshops in the Northern Territory, click here.
To find out more about New Program Concept Workshops in Victoria, click here.